We convert regular translators into subtitle localization geniuses.
Translating subtitles (captions) into multiple languages is an expensive, painful process. It shouldn't be.
Frequently Asked Questions
TranslatingBox turns any translator into a pro subtitle localizer. The subtitles files we work from have been prepared by professional subtitlers that know these rules by heart to prepare the English master file (PreSub) but it’s of vital importance that you also understand the logic behind these industry standards so they you can do a great job with the least amount of frustration.
TranslatingBox allows you to translate and review subtitles into multiple languages instead of having to hire multiple translators with subtitle experience.
TranslatingBox allows you to:
- Create your subtitle files more easily: With TranslatingBox you can have your subtitle files under control while translating subtitles from one language into another.
- Open an mp4 video and see the subtitles as you edit them: In our new desktop version of Translating Box, you can play the video along with your subtitles.
- Review and leave comments: To improve quality, you or your translators/proofreaders/client can leave comments about different aspects of the subtitles such as translation variants, subtitle length, etc. in the PreSub file.
- Language-based character limitation: When you select the target language, the algorithm automatically creates a limit to the allowed number of characters per line that follows best practices for that language.
- Third line optional: Allows translators to use a third line of captions if the final client approves it.
TB is the best option for translation companies. In general, people with different roles such as managers, translators, and reviewers can access TB.
TranslatingBox can be used online from any browser or can be downloaded as an app to your Windows or Mac computer.
To use the online version just click “Online Access” on TranslatingBox.com and it will take your there, simply enter the code you have been given by your Project Manager and start working.
For our Desktop version, just click the Windows or Mac Download buttons and start downloading, then just follow the steps there.
Yes. We have a user manual, with special Annex included for translators and reviewers.
TranslatingBox uses its own proprietary file type called .Presub. To start translating you will need two things from your project manager:
- Your access code. This will need to be entered only once if you’re using the desktop software option or every time if you’re using the online option.
- A .Presub file. This is an encrypted file that contains both the source lines and your translations.
A PreSub file is a special subtitle format designed for Translating Box. It can only be used within TB. These files are encrypted and every time you save a copy to your computer, a new file version will be used with a file number suffix at the end.
- We need a transcription of the video (don’t worry if you don’t have it, our expert team of Transcribers will have done it for you.) or a source .srt file for your video (you can also ask our team to create the .Presub file from scratch).
- We create .PreSub file that you will send to your translators
- Your translators do their magic and send you back the last version of the .Presub file they create.
- You can send this to a reviewer. If you don’t give them a code to enter, they will only be able to add comments to each subtitle but won’t be able to modify the subtitle translation itself.
- You send us the .Presub file from your translator or reviewer.
- We will deliver a well structured .srt file in accordance with international subtitles standards.
With our turnkey service, you do not need to worry about that! We have an expert and reliable team of Transcribers who are ready to help. No matter what language you need, just request for our transcription service too.
Your team will be able to save files in .Presub format only. We process them on our end and send you a file in .SRT or any other caption file format you might need.
At the moment it can play MP4 videos.
We can send you deliverable caption files in .SRT, .ASS, .VBT or any other standard as needed.
No, our team will be in charge of that. The only thing you have to do is to send us the video and/or transcription (if you have it) or an SRT file in the source language, and we will prepare the PreSub file and send it to you.
Yes. The space for each translated line is limited to 42 characters. Each subtitle has a maximum of 3 lines that may be used.
For Asian Languages we can see that we have 16 characters for Chinese and Korean, 13 characters for Japaneese, 35 characters for Thai and 42 for Vietnamese.
TB shows you that information while you are creating the subtitle. It can be seen on the right side of the box you are writing in. Just select the target language from the selector on the left. The fact that TranslatingBox has a limit in characters allows subtitles to follow industry tried and tested subtitling guidelines while communicating the message using a reasonable amount of words.
Basically the great difference between these two versions is the possibility to upload the video, this option is only available with our desktop versions.
Managers and/or Reviewers can both check translated .PreSub files. With our new Desktop version it is simple and really fast. Just upload the video and the translated .PreSub file to Translating Box, you will be able to watch the video with subtitles on the screen. Click on each subtitle in the window on the left side and review it on the translated tabs on the right side. The video will start playing at the exact time of the subtitle you click on the left column and continue from that point.
You or your reviewer can freely make changes or add comments for that subtitle without altering the translation. Changes done will be saved by clicking next or by pressing the “Enter” button on your keyboard. You will be able to identify the subtitles with a note by looking for the little note icons next to the source column on the left.
Request a quick quote right here and let us know if you’d like to go beyond subtitles and make your video shine with voice recordings, on-screen text translations or if you need your captions open so you can get them embedded in the video itself. Apply for Partner Pricing and your Estimates Calculator